Good day everyone,
We hope you all are having a blessed start to your June. As many are feeling the effects of summer, we are beginning to feel the effects of what may be a very cold winter in Cusco. We have been blessed with some beautiful and warm days but very cold mornings and nights. Until you have lived at 11,000 plus feet, I think it is hard to fully understand this sort of weather. May proved to be a very full month for us as a family. Cindy and I celebrated 15 years of marriage on May 8th. We returned briefly to the USA. We helped with an MCO medical team. AND MORE! Please enjoy the individual updates as well as our ministry updates.
- Emma: Emma continues to play keyboard on Sundays at Iglesia Fuente de Gracia. We are so proud of her. She is practicing 3 days a week with lessons and her band. She entertained the crowds of Tupac Amaru Plaza at their last concert.
- Bowden: Bowden continues to practice drums and too rocked out at the concert at Tupac Amaru Plaza.Notice him in the hat gifted to him by Jacob Wilson.
- Blakely: Blakely is in ballet 3 nights a week . She is such a gifted dancer. Also, she loves people so well and has never met a stranger.
- Cindy: Cindy continues her work at Casa Josefina. This has kept her super busy as she is coordinating volunteers who come to serve the orphanage. She is hosting a children’s Bible Study on Tuesdays at the house. Currently there are 6 children ages 8 and under. Also, Cindy is rotating Sunday school teaching at Iglesia Fuente de Gracia. Cindy hosts a dental student for dinner every Tuesday night as well.
- Josh: I have been pretty busy with treating patients in the clinic. It has been a pleasure walking alongside our team and patients in the clinic. I have also been busy emailing many of you asking for donations for the dental clinic expansion as well. I was able to translate for the MCO medical group from Columbia, SC and Athens, GA May 19-25. I taught John Chapter 1 at our Saturday night student event. The focus was on Jesus as the Messiah. I finished the month teaching a group of about 15 dental students and new graduates on local anesthesia techniques. I’ll speak a bit more about this in the student ministry section.
- La Fuente Centro de Salud: The clinic continues to see amazing God-centered growth. Nathan Henson is leading well and our Laser Project is generating income that is helping to supplement other departments. The dental clinic expansion just finished and all 6 rooms are working great. We still lack some funding and continue to fund-raise the project.
- Iglesia Fuente de Gracia: We continue to see steady growth in discipleship and volunteerism. More members are wanting to help, to give, and to serve Jesus. Praise God!
- Casa Josefina: The CJ currently has 14 children all 3 and younger. Bridget (our 6 year old who lived there 5 years) was adopted and now lives in Italy. Praise God!
- University Student Ministry: The ministry continues to evolve as we see new faces come and some of our older students leave. Many are beginning internships that take them out of Cusco. Others have decided not to pursue personal growth with Jesus. It is hard to see students leave or not have the desire to grow in their faith. Many of these students have been poured into for years. We continue Saturday night meetings and have now begun introducing mid-week talks aimed to draw in students we have not contacted before. My local anesthesia program was the first of what we hope to be many. They will be designed to touch different career paths including nurses, engineers, teachers, dentists, and medical doctors.
On behalf of the DuBose crew, we want to say thank you to the many friends, prayer warriors, and supporters who reached out to us after the death of my Grandmother, Hazel DuBose. Fortunately, we as a family were able to return to the USA. It is crazy to think that as a family we had not stepped foot on US soil in over 16 months. My sister Kim dropped some wisdom on Facebook about what a difference a year can make. From Mother’s Day 2018 to Mother’s Day 2019, we had lost both my Aunt and Grandmother. Her picture from Mother’s Day 2018 depicts this change. We are reminded that our days are numbered and only the King knows when and where it will end.
We were able to use this time to visit family and friends, albeit briefly. Know that you are all missed terribly. Also, we attended the graduation of our nephew, Dylan, from high school. He came to Cusco with us and stayed about 2 weeks witnessing what it is that we do here in Cusco on a day to day basis. We were so glad he could come.
As June progresses, we have some prayer requests. Please take the time to pray for us and the following:
- Please pray for my father, James (aka Papa Doc), as he heals from the loss of his mother. Just under a year ago we lost his only sister.
- My sister Kim: she will be sharing her almost unbelievable (almost because nothing is impossible with Jesus) testimony at Celebrate Recovery June 20th. Please come out to Eastridge Community Church and hear her story. You won’t be disappointed.
- Our children: the changes they experience week to week are very difficult. People come and people go. Teammates leave and teammates come. We hurt from the return of Josey Hammond to the USA. We hurt because she loved us well in her more than 2 years in Peru.
- Josey Hammond: pray for her future in the USA as she works through the logistics of how her life will look off of the mission field.
- The Scarborough Family: pray for them as they continue to seek God’s wisdom in their next steps.
- The clinic: that we will be able to raise the remaining money for the dental expansion project.
- For 2 Campus Outreach Lead interns that are coming to Cusco: Madison Eckels and Zach Phillips. These next several months will be difficult as they begin support raising.
Please let us know how we can pray for you. It is our honor and we do not take it lightly. Send your requests large and small. Remember, we serve a Giant God.
If you are not following us on Facebook, please do at “DuBoses in Peru.” Also follow our blog at http://www.dubosesinperu.com.
If you are not financially partnering with us and would like to, please click the following link to begin giving. No gift is too small and no gift is too big. Ask God how He desires for you to give.
If God gives you the desire to give to the dental clinic expansion, please click the following link through Mission to The World (MTW):
We love each and every one of you. We value your prayers and partnership. We cannot do this without you and we are so grateful.
In His Name,
The DuBoses in Peru